Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

And so it begins....

STRAWBERRIES are here!!!!
Now I can really start pumping out my creations thanks to the helpful and talented strawberry guys at this place. The name says it all "Good' n' Plenty, their produce is fantastic and there is an abundance that's for sure. You can find them tucked just off hwy 97A on pleasant valley road or click on this Link for a map.


Picking hours are between 7am and 11am ( I strongly suggest getting in early before the day gets too hot and the other pickers arrive). This fellow (didn't catch his name) was a real gem. We were supplied with buckets and picking instructions and sent on our way to the strawberry field.
I was informed that the variety we were picking was called  " Honey eye" and that the other variety that they grow would be ready shortly after.



Strawberry season is usually quite short lived so I will be stocking up while they are at their peak and jamming at full speed. This trip yielded about 17 pounds (4 ice cream buckets full ) of berries which produced about 50 jars of jam. So another couple of trips are slated for next week.



I must say though that picking with friends makes the time fly right on by. In about 1 hour of picking between three ladies there were 12 buckets of summer love picked, I definitely recommend bringing another person to share the fresh air and sunshine and to keep you company. I plan on taking my kids with me on another trip next week.



After you're all done picking the friendly fellows will weigh your loot and at $1.80 a pound it's a steal. Giggles are free of charge. Thanks Sam and Sheri......what a fun day.
So if you're interested in picking your own fresh, NO SPRAY fruit, I would recommend these guys in a heartbeat. Support your local growers, it's good for the soul!!!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment